Last November, I decided to take the leap and go back to school to get my Master's degree. I have to admit that I mostly did it because I wanted the pay raise that comes with the extra degree. I chose to go back to Western Governors University because I had loved my experience with them when I got my Bachelors in 2006. The great thing about working through them is the opportunity to self-pace the work. You can work as fast as you want, or take things at a slower rate. I decided soon after starting that I wanted to be done by Sept 2010 so I could get the pay raise during the 10-11 school year. I soon found out though that the research element was right at the end, and couldn't be done over the summer, so I made my new goal May 31st so I wouldn't have to pay the next tuition payment. So... I have to say- after 5 1/2 months of VERY hard, intense work- I MADE IT!! There were so many stressful moments that I'm very glad to have behind me. The last big test I took was all about research and statistics and I figured going into it that if I didn't pass, I wouldn't make the first term goal- so it became a "$3000" test for me. Taking that exam was very nerve wracking to say the least!
Yesterday was my final oral defense. I had to have a phone interview with my "facilitator" and my "mentor" (sounds like a bad sci fi movie!!) and defend the research I had done in my classroom. It was a 75 minute conversation. I had created a PowerPoint of my defense and they followed along for about 45 minutes while I talked and they asked questions. THEN... my facilitator had to ask me 4 math questions and I had to pass 3 of them to pass. I was SO nervous about that part because I didn't know the questions. Here were basically the things she asked...
1. Explain how place value relates to multiplication.
2. How would you explain division to a student without using multiplication.
3. Explain how you would describe the different attributes of quadrilaterals to students so they would understand the differences.
4. In your opinion, what's the most important part of plane geometry to teach to students.
Wow- I really felt like I was going to fail every question! It's so hard to just hear the question and know someone is on the other end waiting for an answer. My mind TOTALLY went blank on the first one! I asked to skip it and go back, but I got the next three so I was good. Whew!! After she said I passed and I hung up the phone, Allison and Mackenzie were waiting outside my bedroom door to come in and hug me and give me high fives while we did the happy dance! It felt SO great... I'm still floating. I can't believe I don't have any papers to write!! Later that day, my mentor, who I've been working with this past 5 months, told me she'd like to recommend me to give a speech at graduation commencement this summer. I was really honored, but I ended up saying no because I had other plans that week. It wasn't a sure thing anyway- I would have had to send in an application and a rough draft of a speech by Friday and I don't want to even worry about it right now. I was just really happy she asked me. So- I won't go to graduation... but that's okay- I'm just really happy to be done.
7 comments:
WOW!!! I'm impressed!!! With all you have on your plate and you finished? We need to have a celebration!!!!!!!!Congrats Kate I'm proud of you.
I felt exhausted just reading about your experience! Congratulations!
Congrats! How exciting for you. Way to go!
Outstanding work, Kate. The only thing you did faster in life was to have five children. LOL I am very proud of you, but not a bit surprised at your perseverance and talent.
Does WGU offer the PhD? LOL
Dad
Yeah for you!!! Great job!
Seriously! How do you do it?! You are amazing! Maybe one day I'll be that smart!
That is really, really cool! I'm inspired.
Post a Comment