When I was younger- 6 and 7 years old, my family was stationed in Ireland. I don't remember too much about it, but certain memories will always be there. For example, everytime I smell lavender, I think of living there because someone gave me a sachet with dried lavender that I loved and I smelled it all the time. I went to a girls Catholic school (the ONLY Mormon there I'm sure!) and sang "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, bless the bed that I lay on..." every morning at assembly.
My Dad and step-mom, Colleen recently had a chance to go back after 34 years and these are some of the pictures they took.
Here's the school- my mom said that the first day she took me there, she had to drag me inside kicking and screaming. All these little proper Irish girls going to school and this American Mormon girl throwing a fit. After she finally got me to class, as she went outside, she noticed she had a pair of nylons that had been stuck in her pants and were coming down the leg and trailing behind her. She said that was one of her most embarrassing moments. Sorry mom!

And then this is the house we lived in. The downstairs had a basement type room that had a big wide window that would open up like doors to the outside. That was the room where I remember singing my heart out to American Graffiti soundtrack songs and where my friend and I cooked up a scheme for her to hide in the bathroom while I ate dinner so I could come down and play with her later. Her parents were frantic worrying about her and soon came looking. We went down to get her and she was crying because she was scared. My poor parents, I had my moments, but mostly I was good... right?

Ah... good times... good times!
p.s. I'm back onto Special K!!
1 comment:
Wonderful stories, Kate, and wonderful times in Ireland. I loved the trip back and visiting with some of the members of our LDS branch. But where, o' where has my little girl gone? It's the little Irish lass I remember so fondly, Kate. I love you as a mother, teacher, co-author, etc., but as my oldest child, only girl, ah, priceless.
Love always, Dad
Post a Comment