Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Zach's braces and new chairs

Well, Zach finally got his braces off yesterday. I say finally... but really it wasn't too long. He got them on in August of 2006, so he had them on about 16 months. I have to say, it only took about a month after he got them on to really move his teeth dramatically. The other 15 months was tweaking, adjusting and making the change more permanent. However, today we go in to get his retainer, which he has to wear at night FOR LIFE. Can you believe that? I was shocked when they told me that. The orthandontist said that teeth will eventually go back to their original condition if a retainer isn't worn at night. So- I've done my parental expense, and if he chooses not to wear it when he's older... he can live with the crooked teeth! Here's a picture of Zach the day before, and then the day he got them off. He was one happy camper!






Now... for my projects. I went over to my friend Wendy's cute barn where she keeps all her furniture (see the post below). She had some chairs and a table that she hadn't worked on yet and she gave me a smoking deal. I have been sanding them down and painting them to put in my small nook area in our new house. (Have I mentioned how excited I am about moving into our house!?!) Clinton went by the house last weekend and almost everything was done. They just had carpet, painting the outside, front landscaping and finishing the deck in the back- it's a Trek Deck! I'm really impressed with the quality work they are doing. We didn't get any upgrades, yet everything is so professionally done... like Trek Deck, tile entry, soaking tub in the master with tile around it and a gas fireplace. Plus the "unfinished" bonus room upstairs above the garage (which Clint was going to finish) is almost complete. I don't know if they just forgot it was unfinished or what... it has lights, paint, and millwork. I just don't know if they put carpet in or not yet. Anyway.. back to my project. So- Rachel has been my sander, and I thought she'd poop out, but she's been sanding everything for me. She did the chairs while I painted them, and then last night she spent about 3 hours with a power sander going over the table top getting it all the way down to wood. After it was all bare, I went in and painted it white. Allison was VERY confused and thought that Rachel would be SO mad at me. The table was originally white, with a shiny veener top. So I wanted it rustic and heirloom white. I painted it, banged it a few times with a hammer (sigh... I know I'm WEIRD!) and after sanding the edges, I'm going to put some wood stain lightly over it. The chairs are painted an ivy green that I LOVE. Here's the pics...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Zach looks great! YEAH for him!!!! I bet he was thrilled. Love the chairs... need a pic of the table.
Rene