I thought I'd make memory books for the kids for christmas, going through the past year. They always want to hear stories about when they were young, or things that have happened. So, I thought if I made them each a book each year with the big (and little) events, we could read some of those stories together in a few years. I've been having fun typing up stories, although it's even hard to remember details from a year ago. For 2008, I want to do a page each month, or when something happens to one person that I want to remember. Here are some of the materials I've been using...
Here's one of my favorite stories of the year...
One night, Dad and I were going out with some friends to dinner. We had about 8 couples that were meeting at a local Mexican restaruant, and 2 of the couples lived next door to us. Just before the meal came, the Tripp's got a call from their daughter Rebecca, who was babysitting on our street at another home. A freak windstorm had come up and we didn't hear it in the noisy restaurant. All the power had gone out on our street and everything was pitch black. Dad and I were worried, because our phones in the house were cordless, so we couldn't reach you. We knew you'd all be scared and worried. Dad left right away with some of the other men and went home, while we stayed to box up our meals. As we left, there were branches and debris all over the roads and freeway. I couldn't believe that the wind could go through that fast and cause so much disturbance and we didn't even hear it.
When we arrived home, everything was fine. The power was out, but you had all handled the situation beautifully. First, you found the flashlights and batteries that we had just bought and put in the dining room for our emergency kits. Then, you grabbed pillows and scriptures and all 5 of you went into the tiny bathroom where their were no windows that could break and you prayed. My heart was so happy that when you were scared and unsure, you turned to Heavenly Father to help you. Our home was fine aside from a lot of debris in the yard, but our neighbor had 10 trees fall down. We were very blessed that night.
2 comments:
That is so good of you, you're such a good mommy!
That is the sweetest story. That's what we're looking for. I hope I can teach my kids to be like that. Congrats on the 40D. I want one very bad. I have the 20D but am hoping to upgrade this summer. Keep your fingers crossed.
Post a Comment