So- I haven't totally given up blogging. I'm just a little crazy right now and some things just have to give! Back in November of last year I decided I would go back and get my Master's degree. I'm not really all that concerned about the fact that I'll have another degree as the great benefit of the extra money! It's about $8,000 more per year to have the degree and I'll still be doing exactly the same work... kind of a no-brainer! Plus, with Zach getting ready to go on his mission in less than 2 years and college educations coming up for my kids- I thought it would be a good time.
I signed up to start Dec 1st at the same college I got my teaching degree from, Western Governor's University. They are totally online- the only online school to be regionally accredited as a college that can give you a teaching degree. I loved it the first time and the total flexibility with my crazy schedule.
I started with the goal of finishing by September- which was sort of crazy because it's a two year program, but I knew I'd have unlimited time during the summer to work on it. The first 6 month term consisted of an 18 unit class on math (that's what my Master's is in... elementary math). I worked my butt off and got all the assignments done over Christmas break. So... 6 months done in 1 month.
Since then, I've had my mentor accelerating my course work over and over. (She just laughs now when I send her an email and say, "give me another class!". As I got more into the program, I realized that a big part of finishing is doing a research project in class. Well, I can't do that over the summer, so I've been pushing to get it done before school ends so I can get my research in time.
So- basically, I'm killing myself getting it all done, but I will most likely be done by May 31st- which is the end of my first term, or 6 months. I didn't want to pay the extra $3000 for the next 6 months, so that's my ulterior motive now!! I'm super excited to get it done and can totally see the end in sight now. I just feel bad for my family who is used to seeing me with my laptop on my lap now.
So- I paid $3000 for the first 6 months, got $1250 back from my school as professional development reimbursement and got a tax break. Master's degree= $1500. NOT BAD!!
So- it may be a couple more months until I'm back into the blogging thing- but never fear... I'll be back!!
4 comments:
Yikes!! I was never a big fan of school the first go around, so I would be the last one going back for seconds! I think your kids are pretty self sufficient, so I dont think it's doing them any harm. Good luck with it all. Look forward to more blogs.
I was wondering what the deal was, I actually thought that my Google Reader must be broken! But you are amazing, how do you do it!
Kate, throughout most of my life I thought I was the hard charger, always pushing for the next best thing, trying to be the best I could at everything I did, and always looking to improve. I publicly apologize for giving you those genes, dear daughter, but your work ethic is second to none. You are top notch at everything you do and still have time to let everyone in your life know how much you love them. I am so very proud of you and who you have become. Love you, Dad!
Wow! That's awesome!
I'm so bummed that we aren't going to be there for the basketball tournament next week. Mostly sad because we won't get to see you guys... I never thought I'd say this but I'm getting basketballed out. Arianne has had so many weekend tournaments lately! 2 more to go then we get a break!
Post a Comment