Sunday, December 13, 2009

New Car







We have a new addition to our family... thank goodness it sleeps through the night! About a year ago, we bought a new Yukon for our family to replace our van, but for a while we had three cars which was great for our 3 driver family. Now that Zach is driving, it's been great to have him run to the store, drive himself and Emily to school and run a bunch of errands for me. Not to mention with his basketball schedule and practices, I would be driving him everywhere. However, about 4 months ago we sold our van. We thought we could do fine with 2 cars, but the ultimate goal was to get a "beater" car for Zach to drive around. Nothing fancy, just to get from A to B.

It's actually harder than it looks to find a car that's pretty decent, but very cheap! We've been looking at Craig's List and there are a ton of cars, but the one's we've actually gone to see have been junk.
Yesterday, I was driving with the kids and Zach said, "Look! There's a car for sale and it's really cool!". Being the great mom that I am, I turned around and we went to have a look. It was for sale for $2000 which I thought was promising. It had been marked down from the original $2500. So, we called, arranged to meet the seller when Clint could come look too.

After Clint got off work, we went to look and Zach and I were keeping our fingers crossed because Clint is HARD to please!! In fact, when he was sitting in the car with the seller, we were laughing because we knew Clint was driving a hard bargain and that the guy would find out he's a "meany butt". But, everything must have passed inspection because we got it for $1800. Zach i SOOOO excited. We've told him it's not HIS car, but he knows it's his to drive around. As soon as he's mastered stick shift that is.

This morning he couldn't wait anymore, so I took him around the neighborhood streets teaching him to drive a stick shift. I had fond memories of driving through the mall parking lot in Modesto while my dad taught ME. I also taught my brother Danny how to drive stick, so I should be an expert by now!

Anyway... Zach is a happy, happy boy- and I'm super happy that we don't have to share two cars anymore.

1 comment:

Rene said...

Yeah for Zach! and hey, how about that snow on the ground? YUCK! I hope we don't get anymore of that stuff around here! It's been freakishly cold but finally warming up. Unfortunately the rain came with the warm up.