
Guess what?! I canned some fruit for the first time ever! My mom is here visiting this week and I thought it would be fun to add to our food storage by getting some of the cherries that are ripe here now. I found a farm that was selling cherries and we went and got 50 pounds today. My mom had also brought some canning supplies with her to give me, so it all worked out perfectly! We found a cherry pitter also that made the job so much easier. You just stick the cherries in and push the handle down and boom... the pit comes out. However, I noticed that some were left behind... so we'll have to be careful not to break a tooth when we're eating cherry pie! We were able to can 24 quart jars... so it's about 2 pounds of cherries per quart. We did a few that just had cherries and light syrup and most were made for cherry pie filling, with a cornstarch based syrup. YUM! I can't wait to try them- they look so beautiful sitting on my counter.





3 comments:
Once again, can't just sit still for 5 minutes. Good job. You go girl!!!
Hey Kate! Of course I remember you. I just started getting into this blog thing. My friend actually started it for me...I think that I am hooked now. Thanks for the comment. Looks like you all are doing great. Keep in touch! .clarissa.
Kate,
I love getting on here and checking out what you are doing. Boy I miss hanging out with you.
When my life settles down a bit I would love to get one of these up and running, but. . .
Meanwhile I love reading yours.
Your cherries look awesome, you are a fabulous interior decorator and I want to be just like you when I grow up!
So, how did you get your girls to look so happy and content to be helping Mom can all day? If I were to take a picture on such a day all the eyes would be red-rimmed, the skin around them would be splotchy and the finished product would have too much salt from the cascading tears.
Sure miss you. Tanya
Post a Comment